Certification Requirements of Panel Members
In addition to meeting certain professional and other education, training, and background requirements, each panel member is required to be certified by Peacemaker Ministries as a Certified Christian Conciliator™. The requirements and training to earn the designation of Certified Christian Conciliator™ are as follows:
- The training program includes approximately 150 hours of individual study and training, which includes:
- A self-study course in personal peacemaking and peacemaking in the context of the church
- Self- study prerequisites for the conflict coaching, mediation, and arbitration live training
- Approximately 50 hours of live training courses in
- conflict coaching (one day),
- mediation course (two days), and
- advanced mediation and arbitration (3 days)
- Most panel members also have taken live Advanced Training courses on the topics of resolving marital conflict and resolving conflict in an organizational setting
- Certified Christian Conciliators must annually attend a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education, which includes workshops on Christian conciliation.
- All of the live training courses are based upon case studies and involve extensive role-plays, which provide the conciliator with practical experience.
- The conciliator must complete a minimum of 50 hours in five cases of conciliation work under the direction and oversight of a mentor, and an additional five cases, which are reviewed by their assigned mentor.
- The assigned mentor evaluates and approves the candidate’s completion of the practical experience work and meeting of the certification requirements.
- Conciliators maintain their certification by annually reporting on the cases they have handled, along with providing evaluations from the parties served.
- Conciliators also must comply with the Standards of Conduct for Christian Conciliators to maintain certification.
Information Regarding Training and Certification
If you are interested in taking the conciliation training and/or pursuing certification by Peacemaker Ministries as a Certified Christian Conciliator™, visit our Training page.